The Guam Law
.
17 GCA Chapter 6, Section 6109
.
"Children not attending a private full-time school and who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least (3) hours a day for one hundred seventy (170) days each calendar year by a private tutor or other person, in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of this Territory and in the English language, shall be exempted from attending the public school."
.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Why Homeschooling?

"Why homeschooling?" some may ask. It's very simple. It's one way to truly meet the needs of your child, especially if they have certain conditions like my oldest son. My only daughter remains in the traditional school setting, and she enjoys it, so we've opted to let her stay where she is comfortable. My youngest son will soon be attending grade school, so I'm hopeful he'll enjoy the traditional school setting as well. If his needs are not met, we will consider homeschooling for him, but for now our decision is to have him attend school.

My oldest son is immersed in various content areas, and I usually integrate literacy in each of the subjects, so that he is motivated to read. It certainly helps that I'm an educator. Homeschooling takes dedication and time and sometimes we go beyond the required 3 hours a day, if necessary, so you can imagine that I often have a very long day, since I also teach part-time at the university on certain days! Nevertheless, I'm glad that there is an option for those children who have certain needs like my son. He is learning so much, and we don't have to worry about his absences when his eczema acts up, because he is already at school - our "homeschool" setting! I wish the very best for other homeschoolers, and I encourage you to continue to strive for the best, because focus and dedication are certainly requisites for what we do as homeschool parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment